Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Blog 12


M- How old are you?
R- 52.

M- When were you diagnosed with cancer?
R- Um let’s see. I was 45.

M- Ha, and I was diagnosed with cancer at almost half that age. What was your reaction to being diagnosed with cancer?
R- Oh, I hadn’t realized you also have cancer! Anyway, I was completely shocked and mortified. I didn’t know what the next step was. It was like I had a million questions to ask but couldn’t open my mouth. I was numb, I couldn’t move.

M- What form of cancer were you diagnosed with?
R- Breast cancer

M- And how did you begin to tell family and friends about you being diagnosed?
R- Well I started with my kids. I kind of just came out and said it. My youngest began to cry and my oldest kind of just starred, I don’t think it hit him right away. But I reassured them that I was going to be okay. Same with the rest of my family and friends, I didn’t want them to worry about me you know? I knew it was going to be okay, so it was important that they knew as well.

M- What kinds of treatment did you have to go through?
R- Thankfully, nothing too serious. Well, I don’t think it’s too serious. I went through chemotherapy for 6 months and then we decided to perform a mastectomy to get the cancer out soon and fast. Now it’s all gone and I just have to take one pill a day for five years. It’s funny because normally people are curious as to why I have no hair and am so pale so they’re hesitant to ask me, but not you. You just go for it, and in such a nice manner too

M- Have you ever felt depressed?
R- No, I mean I don’t think. I’ve felt really upset and mad. But not depressed. I’m okay. I’m strong and I’m alive.

M- How did you cope with being diagnosed with cancer?
R- I cried. I cried for hours. I remember getting home and just sitting on my couch crying and asking myself why? That’s when I picked up a notepad and pen sitting on the side table next to me. I remember just writing. Writing how I was feeling, trying to answer questions. It’s when I was done and sat back that I felt better. I discovered something beautiful, writing. It didn’t take the cancer away, but it sure did help the pain.

M- How long have you been attending this program?
R- Hmm, well, I have been attending this program for probably about two years. These people have become my family.

·         I never asked my number 10 questions because she answered that question with “how did you cope with being diagnosed with cancer”. She found writing as a source of relief when she started to write and felt better.

M- Have you ever presented your work? How did it make you feel afterwards?
R- I have presented my work. Um it’s made me feel better. At first I was really nervous, I was scared at what people would say but then I would think to myself “what could they say? “ This is my work, and my feelings, they can’t tell me I’m wrong. Now I present my work all the time. Sometimes it’s nice to hear your own words out loud, ya know?

M- Do you attend any other writing sessions? If so, where?
R- No I don’t

No comments:

Post a Comment