Thursday, April 3, 2014

Blog 17

- How can you make your interviewee comfortable? How can you draw them in and make them focused?
A- relating yourself to them.

M- When were you diagnosed with cancer
R- Um let’s see. I was 45.
M- Ha, and I was diagnosed with cancer at almost half that age. What was your reaction to being diagnosed with cancer?
R- Oh, I hadn’t realized you also have cancer! Anyway, I was completely shocked and mortified. I didn’t know what the next step was. It was like I had a million questions to ask but couldn’t open my mouth. I was numb, I couldn’t move.

- Is it important to ask questions straight forward or to maybe beat around the bush?
A- When you're nervous, your interviewee will be nervous. You should start out your interview being confident and straight forward.

M- What kinds of treatment did you have to go through?
R- Thankfully, nothing too serious. Well, I don’t think it’s too serious. I went through chemotherapy for 6 months and then we decided to perform a mastectomy to get the cancer out soon and fast. Now it’s all gone and I just have to take one pill a day for five years. It’s funny because normally people are curious as to why I have no hair and am so pale so they’re hesitant to ask me, but not you. You just go for it, and in such a nice manner too

- Is it important to remain eye contact? What does that show the interviewee?
A- I believe it's very important to remain eye contact! It shows the person you're interviewing that you're genuinely interested in what they're saying.

M- How did you cope with being diagnosed with cancer?
R- I cried. I cried for hours. I remember getting home and just sitting on my couch crying and asking myself why? That’s when I picked up a notepad and pen sitting on the side table next to me. I remember just writing. Writing how I was feeling, trying to answer questions. It’s when I was done and sat back that I felt better. I discovered something beautiful, writing. It didn’t take the cancer away, but it sure did help the pain.

I'm using this quote as evidence because in the interview (R) put her head down at this point, but I never took my eyes off her. I wanted her to know that I really was interested in what she was saying. I mourned for her and I didn't want her to feel like I wasn't interested in what she was saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment